Translate

How to install Microsoft fonts in Ubuntu Libreoffice





I still find my netbook useful for on the go web browsing and document creation. However it started painfully slow to the point that I would have to wait for what I had typed to appear on the screen. That is why I decided to install a Linux based operating system called Lubuntu on it. I also tried full version Ubuntu but I found that I didn’t need those comprehensive feature so I stuck with Lubuntu. My netbook came back to life with the new system but soon I experience some limitations. I had installed LibreOffice and it is just as good as Microsoft Word except it doesn’t have Microsoft fonts, which are actually standard fonts for report writing for a lot students or officials. In this post, I will show you how to install or get these missing Microsoft Fonts in LibreOffice for Ubuntu or any other Linux based Operating systems such as Lubutu, OpenSUSe, FedoraLinux, Mint, Debian, Korora, Elementary, Sparky and Gentoo.

Times New Roman font in LibreOffice for Ubuntu

The Microsoft font pack includes popular fonts like Times New Roman, Arial, Comic Sans MS, Andale Mono, Arial Black, Verdana, Georgia, Trebuchet etc. These fonts are also known as Microsoft TrueType Core fonts for the web and it was released first in 1996. To install these fonts on Ubuntu you will simply need to type a one line command on the terminal or console (command prompt equivalent in Linux systems).

How to install Times New Roman in Ubuntu Linux

Remember that the below steps will install all the standard Microsoft office fonts not just tTimes new Roman.
  1. Open the terminal and type sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
  2. Now you will need to type your password (if you’ve setup one)
  3. The installation will now begin
  4. Now scroll all the way to the bottom >> Press “Tab” to select Ok >Press Enter
  5. Now use arrow keys to accept the Microsoft License agreement

After completing the above steps, simply close the terminal and open your Linux Office suite or program. In my case, I got all the fonts including Times New Roman installed in LibreOffice.


SHARE

Shawn

I fix errors or at least try to...

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment